Category Archives: rise of diabetes
Diabetes is one of the most common diseases among children. For parents of children with diabetes getting ready for the upcoming school year not only means buying school supplies such as backpacks, pencil, notebook, etc. but also diabetes supplies to keep their children safe at school and during school events.
Here are steps you can take to keep your children safe:
1. Notify the school right away if your child has diabetes.
2. Develop a Diabetes Medical Management Plan.
3. Meet with your child school nurse to go over your child health plan.
4. Have a low blood sugar rescue box “Low Box” (items to bring blood glucose levels into range). It will hold anything from juice boxes to fruit snacks to diabetes supplies, i.e., glucose meter, test strips, glucagon pen and lancing device, etc.
5. Be an active member of the school health team.
The American Diabetes Association has a “Safe at School” webinar.
Register for the Back-to-School Advocacy Webinar for Parents of Children with Diabetes held Thursday, August 10th, 2017!
Click here to register: https://cc.callinfo.com/registration/#/?meeting=1k4dpjva34elf&campaign=1v1a6xhga6hc4